The fact that more and more people are getting encouraged to go Green is the main reason why, each year, the number of students taking up green degrees is increasing. And because of the continuing rise in the demand for such degrees, more and more colleges are coming up with new and innovative programs.
Going Green has certainly gone a long way, and for those who are vigilant enough to finish their Green courses and get their Green degrees, great job opportunities are waiting for them in environmental sustainability, policy, management and law.
Green degrees are wide scoped and the major and minor courses are divided in different categories. So, you have the option to choose your specialty such as in agriculture, marine conservation, fisheries, sustainable building and many more.
Aside from the major courses and Bachelor of Sciences green degrees, some colleges are also offering additional classes which include:
- Sustainable Business
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Renewable Energy
- Paper Engineering
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Construction Management
- Ecology and Management of Landscapes
- Environmental Law
- Outdoor Education
Top Ten Greenest Degrees
Environmental Sciences and Department
- Major in Environment Chemistry – this course involves initial recognition of how the uncontaminated environment works and well as which chemical concentrations are naturally present and at what effects. Study of this course allows human to properly understand and accurately learn the effects that chemicals bring to the environment.
- Major in Environment Geosciences – this course involves applying the understanding of the natural world in providing solution for environmental issues. Understanding of soils, rocks and minerals in combination with surface processes, is important in alleviation of environmental risks and key to defending the world while allowing for growth and development at the same time.
- Major in Conservation Biology – this is a scientific study of the nature and condition of the Earth’s biodiversity with the objective to protect the species and their habitats as well as the ecosystems from extreme possibilities of extinction and biotic interaction erosion. It is an interdisciplinary course that deals with economics, sciences and natural resource management.
- The Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Food and Bioenergy Systems – is a scientific study that offers three definite concentrations — sustainable crop production, sustainable food systems and agroecology. In this specific degree students are encouraged to work at vegetable farms as part of their colleges’ agricultural research programs. The students also participate in internship programs at local farms. For post-graduates the graduates are likely to land good jobs and postings in different sectors like, agricultural biosecurity, food safety, bioenergy production and bioenergy improvement.
Natural Resource Department
- Major in Ecological Restoration – this course involves the scientific discipline aimed to provide resolution to the rising need to re-establish the Earth’s damaged ecosystems. Habitat destruction, invasive species expansions, urban sprawling and the direct damage caused by industrial contamination, are just some of the cause of the severe damages suffered by our natural habitats. This course gives the students clear understanding and strong foundation on what methods are available in the ecosystem restoration process.
- Major in Marine Science and Conservation – this course includes the study in coastal geology and marine ecology; ocean and earth sciences (including subjects on climate change as well as solid earth methods); and environmental policy and studies (focused on aquatic sciences, atmospheric sciences and ecosystem science).
- Major in Wildlife Ecology – this course concentrates on studies on nanotechnology, wildlife disease prevention, and global genetic engineering.
- Major in Forest Ecosystem Science – this coursework degree prepares the students for great careers in the natural resource management and forest management sectors. It provides the graduates with useful connections in the ecosystem management sectors both locally and internationally.
Nature and Culture Department
- MA in Environmental Science and Policy – in this course the students need to explore and evaluate that causes ecological degradation. This interdisciplinary course builds a basis in international environmental policy by integration of the study of environmental politics with economics and natural sciences.
- Major in Nature Studies – this major course is designed for students who aim to understand the complicated relationships that humans have with nature. Through understanding it is expected that the students will be able to make a difference that will make the world a better place to live in.